Looking into landscaping, or been inspired to take on a backyard makeover? Whatever your concept, you may need to let us know of certain plans before you start.

Garden designSave water around the home this summer

We have a number of tools and resources that can help you design a beautiful and waterwise garden!

Need help?

Use our online search to find waterwise advice and services that can help you save water – and money – in your garden.

Search for waterwise services

Putting in a retaining wall, shed, patio or gazebo

If you are incorporating a structure in your project, you may need to submit a minor plan application prior to commencing it’s construction. This includes a:

  • retaining wall greater than 1.2 metres high
  • masonry structure (i.e. brick or stone) greater than 1.8 metres high
  • shed greater than 42 square metres.

Any demountable framed structures, such as a patio, pergola, gazebo or colorbond shed, with or without a cast in-situ concrete floor that has a total area of 42 square metres or less, no longer require our approval.

Our main concern is making sure it is not located too close to our water, wastewater or drainage services. This is why we ask you to complete a self-assessment of your application before you start construction or installation.

Submitting your application

Step 1: Self-assessment

Before submitting your application online, we recommend you complete a self-assessment of your application by following these steps:

  1. Obtain plans from Dial Before You Dig.
  2. Determine the location of the sewer main.
  3. Determine the material and depth of the sewer main.
  4. Refer to the Residential guidelines for designers document for the appropriate protection of sewer main information.
  5. Self-assess your design with our requirements.

In some cases you may need to relocate your internal plumbing or sewer lines and you will need to contact a licensed plumber to carry this out.

Find Waterwise plumbing services

Step 2: Submit your application online

You can use our online self-service system, BuilderNet, to lodge your minor plan application.

You will need to attach an electronic copy of your pool plan and site plan and any other documentation relevant to your application (in PDF or JPG format).

If you are not a regular BuilderNet user, you can use our Guest account option to log in.

Login to BuilderNet

Application fee

A minor plan application is $36.78, we will process your application and generate an invoice. Payment options will be provided on the back of the account.

What if I need to relocate my water meter?

You can have your meter raised or lowered, or moved to the left or right of its current location.

For more information about relocating a meter, see Meters.

Contact us

Phone: 13 13 95


Mail: Building Services, Water Corporation. PO Box 100, Leederville