Sewer blockage or overflow

If your toilet won't flush or there is any wastewater overflowing at your home, you may have a leaky or blocked sewer. Find out who can help and what you should do next.

If you have wastewater overflowing anywhere on your property or any damage is being caused call 13 13 75 immediately.  This line is attended 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

If you think it might be an internal blockage on your property plumbing – or if you’ve already called us and we’ve told you we think it is – you’ll need to call your plumber.

Where does responsibility lie?

Depending on the location of the sewer blockage the responsibility may fall upon you to fix the issue. Wastewater (or sewer) blockages within the property plumbing are the property owner's responsibility. If a blockage is in the sewer main (normally outside the property), it is Water Corporation’s responsibility.

See the diagram below to show who is responsible for the sections of a property's sewer.

If it turns out the blockage is in our sewer, the plumber will call us and advise that a Water Corporation crew is required to clear the blockage. We pay the plumber a standard fee for locating a blockage.


You may also be interested in

Water problem?

Report a fault now
pipe wrench

Further investigation needed?

See common reasons for a high bill
magnifying glass